Saturday, June 11, 2011

A Jill of All Trades: Custodian, Comedian, and Contractor

I've been saving up some photos of Anika that seem pretty well "themed" - you'll be able to see some, ahem, age differences in a couple of them.  However, since we have 8 gazillion digital photos of her, why not go back through some of them and track her progress?  So, here we go!

I remember "waaaay back when" helping my mom with the laundry.  Handing her clothes pins, eventually taking the high part of the hill that our clothes line was on so I could hang some by myself, matching the dried socks up, and learning my numbers when sorting things out by size when everything was dry.  So, I figured, why not start Anika out on this task?  Putting laundry away has never been a strong point with me, but maybe if I try to teach my daughter, maybe I'll finally pick up and finish the laundry job!


9 months old and sitting pretty in the laundry room with me.

Cloth diapers = plenty of laundry!
I figured having Anika push the laundry basket around the house would help out with her walking skills - it worked pretty well (except when she first started and took a couple of headers into the basket...I figured that would just toughen her up for Mountain Biking later in life, though).  Most of the time when I got out the camera, Anika abandoned pushing the basket for attacking Mommy...which isn't a bad thing either!



Anika has also become comfortable with being in the kitchen.  For example - she helped with the inventory of our fake-tupperware drawer.

What's this?

Almost done!!!

She also likes to help out when I cook.  This day I was making banana bread and Anika was making mixed cereal.  But a good cook always cleans up, right?  (Some days I'm not the best of cooks....)

Mmmm...tasty!

Cheeeeeeese!

Check out those motor skills!
Anika has also developed quite the sense of humor through the years [oops! she hasn't been around long enough for that!] months

Our 7 month old ham in the tub.

9 months -
"I've got my helmet on!  Nothing can do me wrong!"
Bunny impersonation.

Swimming goggles and silly Shrek face.

Sitting on her pregnant mother's belly (8 months along, by the way in this one)
...Kiddo #2 is in for it!

Spending some time in her Father's shoes.

Another Shrek face with boots on.

She actually made forward progress with the boots on
while driving the Dora car!
We've also been doing quite a bit of improvements on the house...okay, not a new concept for us as we've been consistently working on improving the Homestid.  However, Anika has ventured into being a General Contractor as you can see on this next video.  She's explaining to Ben how to finish out the flooring job.


We're looking forward to Anika's advice on picking out the area rugs (we know that it has to be crawl-worthy in the family room) as well as landscaping the front yard.  Some people put pressure on their kids to be prodigies related to the arts and smarts ... we're coaching ours to be a prodigy of home improvement projects.  Tim Taylor would be proud (Home Improvment t.v. show reference, just in case you didn't get that one!).

In other news, kiddo #2 is still cooking away!  We will let you know when the grand entrance occurs! 

No comments: